Soft Body Dynamics, using a different approach.

This tutorial uses many aspects of Poser to animate Roxie's breasts, belly and upper legs in a way that is more realistic than just using a single weight map. You will get far less mesh crunch doing it this way since you have 2 maps to work with that are under different influences. You can use the same technique and have multiple animated constraints in the same simulation. Doing it this way demonstraits that you can do more than one thing in a single simulation if you want to. It also shows that you can have an Animated Constraint without any keys. It all but eliminates character drift in animations as well.

Poser 2014 is required, and everything you will need comes with a full install.

We will be using the following content:

Roxie
    Roxie's Bikini Top
    Roxie's Bikini Bottom
    Roxie's Hair
    Roxie's Lashes

Areas of Poser that are going to be used are:

Animation Palette, to alter frame playback range.
    Cloth Room, setting up 2 simulations for the collars of the Bikini top. (not all conforming clothes will work for this, this top does.)
    Graph Editor, including modifying spline types, etc.
    Physics Window, using self and animated restraints together.
    Walk Designer, to set up a 120 frame walk cycle.

You can use any lights you want to, that does not really matter as long as you can see what you are doing.
    My Poser working units are set to inches, so you will either need to translate values given to inches or temporarily switch to inches in the preference window if you use a different setting.

Now to get started.

Fire up Poser 2014 Pro and open up the Windows to look similar to this.

UI Layout.jpg

Load Roxie and delete her conformed lashes. (We will bring them back in later.)
    Set the frames to 120 in the Animation Controls, then in the Physics Window.

Some of her morphs need set so she has more to bounce around.

At frame one, set the following morphs to these values:

Body Morphs:
    Muscular to 0.2
    Voluptuous to 1.0

Chest Morphs:
    Breast Scale to 0.4 You will have to unlock it in the settings or just leave it at what it maxes to.
    Breast XScale to -0.1
    Breast YScale to -0.3
    Breast ZScale to -0.3

Move the Animation Control to frame 30 and set Breasts In Out to 0.6. Open up the Graph Editor for Breasts In Out and click on Linear Section at frame 30. Move the Animation Control to frame 120 and set Breasts In Out to 0.6.

BreastsInOut Graph.jpg

The reasoning for setting this is that the Bikini Top does not have this morph, and we will correct for that later with Cloth Simulations.

With Roxie still selected, go the Physics Window, click on New.. and name it Breasts.

Click on the Objects... button, go to the Soft Dynamic tab and Select Roxie, then click OK.

SoftDynamics.jpg

The Simulation settings I used are:
    Gravity -10.00
    Damping 0.14
    Default Soft 1.5748
    Default Rigid .1968
    Steps Per Sec 120

In the Object Section of the Physics Window, select Roxie in the drop down.
    On the constraints tab right below that, click on new and select Self Constraint.
    Click on New again and select Animated constraint.
    Select the Animated Constraint in the preview, go to the Parameters tab on the right and set:

X to 0.0
    Y to 50.0
    Z to 9.0

PosConstr.jpg

Switch to the Propeties Tab and set the the Parent to Roxie's Hip. Uncheck both Visible boxes.

Parent.jpg

Go back to the Object section of the Physics Window and click on Set Handle Posistion.

SetHandle.jpg

Now we have to define the maps.

Switch to Hidden Line view, click on the Set All button and select All To 1.

SetTo1.jpg

Using the More Dynamic brush set to the second brush from the right, radius to about 0.02 Magnitude to 0.2 paint the mesh on one side so it looks similar to the picture, then mirror it to the other side.

Physics Weight Map.jpg

Click on the Copy/Paste button and Copy the map you just made.
    Close the Dynamics Weight window.
    In the Physics Window select the Self constraint, click on the brush icon then paster the map to the character.
    Close the Dynamics Weight Window.

With the Self Constraint still selected, go to the Properties Tab and Set the following:

Collision Margin to 1.57483
    Friction to 0.5
    Bounce to 0.25
    Linear Dampening to 0.015
    Mass to 1.0
    Internal Pressure to 0.1
    Linear Stiffness to 0.8

The other map should inherit these settings, they are shared for each simulation.
    Keep that in mind when doing a single simulation with multiple maps.

Open the Walk Designer Window, in the top section set:

P10 Roxie Jiggle to 10%
    P10 Sexy to 10%

WalkDesign.jpg

Click on apply, in the next window that comes up, select walk in place at the top, and Layer at the bottom to apply the Walk Cycle to the Base layer.
    (This is just to make it easy to edit, you may want it on a seperate layer in complex animations, but for this example apply it to the base layer so it is easier to edit later.)

ApplyWalk.jpg

Load Roxie's Bikini Top and switch to the cloth room.

Click on New simulation, frames 1 thru 120, 0 drape frames and click ok.
    Click on Clothify, and select the right collar of the Bikini.
    Click on Collide Against set it up so that Abdomen, Chest, Neck, and Right Collar are selected then click OK.
    Set Collision Offset to 0.3 Collision Depth to 0.3 Deselect Start draping from zero pose. Click ok.
    In the Dynamic Controls Panel set the following.

Fold Resistance to 50.0
    Shear Resistance to 50.0
    Stretch Resistance to 500.0
    Stretch Damping to 0.01
    Static Friction to 0.5
    Dynamic Friction to 0.1
    Air Damping to 0.02

ClothSimParam.jpg

Make a new Simulation and repeat these steps for the left collar of the bikini.

Load the Bikini Bottom, Roxies Hair, Roxies Eyelashes. All you have to do is load them.

Go to the Animation Menu at the top, and click on All Bullet Physics, wait till that finishes.
    Go back to the Animation Menu at the top, and click on All Cloth, wait till that finishes.

Change the current frame to frame 61, open up the Animation Palette and drag the Play Range Start Arrow to frame 61.

Play Range.jpg

Turn off skip frames, and click play.

To make it a perfect loop will require copying the last frame of the animation to frame 60 and tweaking it from there.
    Once you calculate a simulation you have to clear it before you change just about anything, or you wont see the change right away.

I also did a simulation on the hair.

I am sure you can figure that out as well, there is just one map on that.

I hope I didn't miss anything, lol

Just to update this, different characters and different walk cycles will require that the animated constraint be parented to different body parts.

As an example, this one is parented to the abdomen.
    With it parented to the hip in this walk cycle the movement was to extreme and it looked really odd.
    You can go in and lock a direction with additional physics settings, but it is far easier to just parent it to another body part and try again.

Howwwwww?

Quote Originally Posted by shvrdavid View Post
    Just to update this, different characters and different walk cycles will require that the animated constraint be parented to different body parts.

As an example, this one is parented to the abdomen.
    With it parented to the hip in this walk cycle the movement was to extreme and it looked really odd.
    You can go in and lock a direction with additional physics settings, but it is far easier to just parent it to another body part and try again.

Hi,
    I'm a total noob here, and I'm just amazed at this tutorial.
    I've gone through it twice and the first time I must have screwed up something on the second breast. Well that's okay, so today I thought I'd go through it again trying to get some sort of grasp on what is being done and why. Well the fog has only very slightly lifted; so many settings.
    In todays effort I got nearly everything duplicated, the results worked except that In the playing Roxie is invisible! Its kind of interesting though.
    If I scrub back to frame one she is there, goes away on frame two.
    So I guess you know what I did wrong; I can't imagine.
    Also if I scrub through I notice that her bikini nipples go inward more than the rest of the breast. Is that the result of a poor painting job?
    I presume that you arrived at all the settings somewhat by trial and error, and of course a good knowledge what each is doing, but still I find it amazing. May I ask how much time it took to create the animation the first time?
    Many, many thanks,
    Ozzie

It took me about an hour or so to get it to work right if I remember correctly.

Been a while since I did it thou.

No idea what you may have done wrong. I have not had a character disappear when setting up simulations.

As far as the weight map painting, you will have to experiment with it to get the mesh to work right. They way the physics map is handled in Bullet causes issues where the mesh is denser. That part of Bullet was designed for game characters with more uniform polygon sizes. Dense areas will always act differently than other areas, and there is nothing you can do about that other than tweak the map till it looks right.

If your dead serious about animating with Bullet, spawning a new mesh in another program that has better poly distribution for Bullet is an option as well. But not a requirement.

I don't think there is a way of packing up the map in the one I posted so it is inject-able. I have tried a few different ways and it just doesn't work. The scenes are to large to post into a forum. Which does present a problem as far as distributing it. There may be a way of doing it with a read script load, but I have not tried that yet.

You can do far more with a read script load than you can with a pose file. You basically do the changes as it is loading, not afterwards. Some things just can't be changed or added after the character is loaded.

I'm not sure how to go about giving a crash course on Bullet Physics. I have been using it for years in other programs. If you got one breast to work, you probably just need to mirror the map to the other side of the character.

As far as the number of setting goes in Bullet, just be glad we don't have to do all of it from a script window... The way they integrated Bullet into Poser takes all of the manual coding out of it and makes it easier to do things like jiggly breasts.

I did this tutorial to show that things like this can be done in Poser. You can use the physics to do all sorts of things.
    Last edited by shvrdavid; 01-16-2014 at 06:22 PM.

Hi,

I have just purchased Poser 10 which, I believe, has the physics engine. Why do you say that PP2014 is required? What is missing from Poser 10?

I have noticed already that most people on this forum, even though it is supposed to address both versions, assume that everyone has bought 2014. It would be helpful to point out which threads apply to both and which apply only to the version I couldn't afford.

I have Poser Pro 2014, I am not sure if it will work in 10 or not.

Looking at the version comparison here, it should work in 10 thou. It may not of when I did the tutorial thou, dunno.

http://poser.smithmicro.com/poser10-...o2014/#compare

Hopefully it works fine in version 10.

Quote Originally Posted by shvrdavid View Post
    I have Poser Pro 2014, I am not sure if it will work in 10 or not.

Looking at the version comparison here, it should work in 10 thou. It may not of when I did the tutorial thou, dunno.

http://poser.smithmicro.com/poser10-...o2014/#compare

Hopefully it works fine in version 10.
    Many thanks... I hope so too. I'm a real noob so it might be a while before I'm ready to try it.

BTW I have just posted a question in the main forum which links back to this. I didn't intend any negative criticism of your tutorial whatsoever - just clarification of the differences between the two versions.

Fascinating, thank you!
    Not all 3D content is Kreat3D equal.