how to use DSON Importer

when I try to open the genesis in Poser 2012 Pro I get this message

Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "C:\Users\Dario\Documents\DAZ 3D\Studio\My Library\Runtime\libraries\Character\DAZ People\Genesis.py", line 1, in <module>
    import dson.dzdsonimporter
    ImportError: No module named dson.dzdsonimporter

I need help ... thanks

This has been asked many times before.
    The gist of it is:
    - You NEED Poser 9/Poser Pro2012 SR3.1
    - You NEED to install the DSON importer (one setup file) in the location where you installed Poser (default in Program Files/Smith Micro/Poser Pro 2012 (or 9) or Program Files (x86) for Poser 9
    - You must NOT install the 2 other setup files (Essentials) in these locations (Program Files) - this will NOT work in Windows Vista, Windows 8 and Windows8
    - The essential setup files must be installed in another location. I have created a Posergenesis runtime where I installed them. This is also the location where you install genesis content. This runtime must be added to Poser as an external runtime.

You can install the essentials to your DS library, but then you have to add the runtime structure within the DS library as an external runtime. But here you have to figure it out for yourself if it does not work, since it is an utter mystery to me how it is supposed to work given all the different locations within the DS libary for content. But some people have reported that it does work if you set it up correctly
    Last edited by wimvdb; 01-27-2013 at 01:45 PM.

Unhappy do you know of 2012 crash....

First, Installed SR3 to 2012 with no problems, then DSON, again no problems. I now find that ALL my content (legacy, V1 through V4, etc....) will not allow any form of conforming. I get a msg. 'error reading file, not a poser file' [paraphrased].... This is after at least a month of using SR3 and DSON with no apparent glitches. I've used the Zbrush mesh shuttle with no problems... in short there seemed nothing broken at all... until yesterday.
    Fired up and tried to conform a clothing to a fig that has always worked, and poof... NO Dice!
    You mentioned not installing the other two DSON files (DAZ content, and Poser content I presume) in the same dir as DSON (which is the Program Files Install dir); Mine were installed in my poser content runtimes... (@user...public...etc); and of course the DS content runtimes in same public docs folder but its own Daz folder structure.
    I've uninstalled all of DSON, and ensured nothing remained, but still have complete conforming failure in 2012.... There is no uninstall for SR3, so I have not yet nuked 2012 and tried reinstall... Hope some one has a lead on this error situation.
    Sorry for the long windedness, just wanted to be as clear as possible.

Thanks for any and all response.... anyone! Help! ughhhhhhhhh....

I am trying to understand what is actually broken, so a couple of questions:

- You say "will not allow any form of conforming". That implies that it will load, just not conform. But then you say you get a message "error reading file". Since the conform command does not read any poser files, I am confused on what is gong on.
    So questions ara:
    - Can you load (as in double click) a V4?
    - Can you load a clothing item?
    - Can you select that clothing item and do a Figure!Conform to! the V4 figure?

The error message is a different one as DSON would produce, so I don't think it is related to DSON.
    Before uninstalling Poser, you can try to remove all preference files and see if that fixes the problem.

But first what is actually going on?

Had run into this and found that the Python files in 2012 programs...runtime...python... addon... had not made it into it place.. (Win7)...
    I ran a re-intall, to a writable dir on another drive (the Poser DSON portion only), then copied it over the the actual poser2012 install dir and it fixed the whole problem.

yes, I can load anything and everything. When I select to conform one to the other, once I click (after picking the figure), it idles (reading), then shoots the error... and it say's 'error reading file... not a valid poser file'...
    I understand your 'uh shock?'... been using poser since it infancy release!

I am at a total loss here.

oh, yes, this is all after picking the item and going to the conform button, I pick the figure to conform to and it closes as it usually did, but then it give a reading cycle indicator for a sec and then the error throws out.
    Last edited by yannosb; 01-27-2013 at 02:42 PM. Reason: opps forgot....

It looks like DSON might be the problem after all. You said you uninstalled DSON and removed all traces (I assume that means deleting the entire contents in addon). In that case there is very little else you can do but reinstall poser (after uninstalling). I have done that a couple of 100 times, so it is not a very big deal if you use external runtimes. The uninstall will only remove the files it installed itself. Check after uninstall if everything has been removed from Program Files.

Otherwise contect SM support - maybe they have a better idea

Yeah, its looking like a flame out... But, I gotta say its a huge mystery... I've poked and peeked into every 'under the hood' opening in Poser and can not find the cause. That I have not seen any form of similar problem with other DSON users... its just 'One of them Things' I guess.
    Thanks for the attempted assist... I'll keep checking this thread just in case you, another, or even I have a sudden 'A HA'...LOL

hello,
    I also have same problem and English is not my mother language ,so please forgive my broken English。
    I use poser 2014.
    I download “Victoria 6 Pro Bundle Full” on the internet, and it contents 13 folder.
    some folders have .exe files and some floders have .rar files.There are almost 31 .exe file
    I am so confused.I don't know how to install them.
    so I intall the 31 .exe files one by one and some really works.such as hair ,i can find them in library.
    but the most impantent "figures",when i use them ,

it will make mistakes-----------"Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "C:\Users\Public\Documents\Poser Pro 2014 Content\Downloads\Runtime\libraries\Character\DAZ People\Victoria 6.py",
    line 1, in <module> import dson.dzdsonimporterImportError: No module named dson.dzdsonimporter"

please help me...I have tried so many times....

please help(install DAZ 3D to poser 2014)

hello,
    I also have same problem and English is not my mother language ,so please forgive my broken English。
    I use poser 2014.
    I download “Victoria 6 Pro Bundle Full” on the internet, and it contents 13 folder.
    some folders have .exe files and some floders have .rar files.There are almost 31 .exe file
    I am so confused.I don't know how to install them.
    so I intall the 31 .exe files one by one and some really works.such as hair ,i can find them in library.
    but the most impantent "figures",when i use them ,

it will make mistakes-----------"Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "C:\Users\Public\Documents\Poser Pro 2014 Content\Downloads\Runtime\libraries\Character\DAZ People\Victoria 6.py",
    line 1, in <module> import dson.dzdsonimporterImportError: No module named dson.dzdsonimporter"

please help me...I have tried so many times....

thanks a lot
    my problem has been solved
    but i still want to ask:there are so many .exe files in the DAZ 3d library i downloaded.
    do i need to install them one by one ?(almost 20 or 30 .exe files)

The pro bundle includes many different products which are also available separately for those who want only that single product and not the whole bundle.
    So, yes, if you want all the content of the bundle you'll have to install all of them.
    - I am, therefore I eat -

My products at RDNA