Javascript DHTML Drop Down Menu Powered by dhtml-menu-builder.com
Your Profile

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Creating Skin and Eye textures in Photoshop

Creating Skin and Eye textures in Photoshop

I was wondering if anyone had any tutorials they could suggest for making skin and eye texture mats for the Gen4 characters in Photoshop. To create skins and eyes for new characters, I know a lot of people will suggest to grab some merchant resources, but I was wondering if there were some tutorials about of how people would make skin and eyes themselves.

For some of my characters, I'd like the digital look for the eyes and skin - I really like Sabby's style of eyes for her characters, and I frequently use her Eye FX packs - but to do that for my own characters seems like a cop-out. Does anyone know of anything that would help me get that style of eye?

Thanks!

No, not like that. If I can, I don't want to use photographic references as my source skin textures. I want to know if it's possible to paint the skin myself, in Photoshop- like starting with a blank white canvas, with the UV maps as a reference, and going from there. If there are tutorials around for how to paint skin that looks halfway between realism and synthetic.

My Store
    My Gallery

Home
    from the farthest reaches of the inner mind to the....
    Blog Entries
    There use to be an old tutorial out there which talked about building a texture of the hand. It included talk of layering and having as many layers as 7-9, so you could capture all the lines and folds. Lost the link long ago, but hoping someone here might remember it. It was done all with self-made brushes and not a bit of photos.
    Dreams which do not seem to follow the path of the many, still must have their day

Yes, this tutorial sounds exactly like the thing I'm after. Fingers crossed someone here remembers it, and the tutorial is still online.

yes, that one for the eyes is closer to what I'm after. Thankyou!

Home
    Central New York
    Good luck in your quest. Human skin is a very tricky thing to model by hand, if you aren't going for supermodel perfection. I admire your ambition.

Thanks very much, nobody1954.
    My skills in Photoshop are acceptable, and if I get my hands on a guide to show me roughly how it's done, I was curious to see if I could do it.
    I did like the idea of making skins and eyes for my own characters, being proud that I created everything myself.... but so far, skin is being difficult.
    I might just have to get a skin texture from one of my characters and zoom in up close and try and mimic it. I think skin would be just a series of layers and splatter brushes.

I have scoured the net looking for tutorials that might fit the bill, but I can't seem to find anything like this:
    I have 3D Texture Workshop I bought from DAZ a long time ago. I've never used it like I always intended, but if you get it, and work through it, you can probably do just about any kind of skin afterwords. Prices as low as $1.75 used to as high as $409.61 new It think it may be exactly what you're looking for.
    "There is no secret ingredient "
    -- Kung Fu Panda

"Reach for the sky!"

Quote Originally Posted by batronyx View Post
    I have scoured the net looking for tutorials that might fit the bill, but I can't seem to find anything like this:
    I have 3D Texture Workshop I bought from DAZ a long time ago. I've never used it like I always intended, but if you get it, and work through it, you can probably do just about any kind of skin afterwords. Prices as low as $1.75 used to as high as $409.61 new It think it may be exactly what you're looking for.
    Wow! I think that is exactly what I'm looking for... and FANTASTIC! Some of those books on amazon have International shipping. Now I'll just have to find someone who ships to Australia. Amazon tends to be very hit and miss about what it will ship to Australia.

And thankyou Kerya... two of those tutorials look to be close to what I'm after (the one on deviantART I already had favourited)
    Thanks so much for all of your input! It's really appreciated

On the same note as kerya's suggestion you can read any of a dozen or so different "Workshop" pdf's at ImagineFx.com.
    This one by Marta Dahlig might be particularly useful since it addresses several different skin types. The thing to remember with all of these painting tutorials ( and you probably already know this but maybe someone else will find it useful ) is that they are aimed at a final rendering, but a skin texture for 3D rendering needs to be broken out into components so the rendering engine has enough information to do that for you. So, for example, anything about painting highlights would go on a separate specular map with the T-zone on the face generally being lighter, and thus brighter on render, than the rest of it. Much the texture techniques still apply but they need to be painted in grayscale on a separate bump map, and the base color texture will remain relatively flat with only blurred mottling or light veining as in the bottom of the foxbane tutorial on dA kerya linked to.

So that is something to think about until you can get the advice of real pro.
    Good luck with getting that book.
    "There is no secret ingredient "
    -- Kung Fu Panda

"Reach for the sky!"

Thankyou very much, batronyx, that is a lot of helpful information!

Looking at other character skin textures, I know there is the coloured image plus the spec, and sometimes a bump mat, but at the moment, I don't know how much detail goes on each of these mats, so when they come together they look good. But that is an experimental process for me to work out what information, or detail, needs to go on which image

I completely forgot about ImagineFX's website! I get the magazines (I have a small pile beside my bed that I haven't read yet) but it didn't twig that I should check their site. Thanks!

Wow, thankyou very much for the links, Kerya! They look like they're exactly what I need! *hugs*

+ Reply to Thread