Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

September 2012 Landscape Portrait Challenge

Ok, what I am looking for here is an intimate portrait type image, but with a landscape layout (Wider then it is tall) You don't have to include actual landscape (You can, it's just not required) This challenge is all bout evoking that intimate, close, portrait type of image in the wide format. I don't think there needs to be any more challenge then that so the rest I am leaving up to you!

Master's Twist: SEE THIS POST - Only applies to Masters Level Participants I have two things I want from the Masters this month 1.) You have to have landscape in your image and 2.) you have to use Cinema Widescreen scaling: 2.39:1 (2390x1000 for example) It doesn't have to be pixel perfect, but I know the look I am looking for

The Terms:
    -Images must be previously unpublished
    -Images will be judged on the Theme of the Challenge and the Portrait Work.
    -Post Images to the RDNA Challenge Gallery
    -Put Portrait in the title.
    -Two posts maximum per member
    -Postwork is allowed and encouraged
    -Standard Gallery rules/image guidelines for RDNA apply
    -Images must be posted by September 29th, 2012 Midnight EST
    -Winners will be announced on September 30th, 2012 (I will try to be on time this month!)
    -All members including RDNA Team members and Vendors are welcome to participate.

The Prizes:
    Master's Prize: $75 in RDNA Products (Masters Only)
    1st PRIZE: $50 in RDNA Products
    2nd PRIZE: $25 in RDNA Products
    3rd PRIZE: $10 in RDNA Products

All Winners will also receive a special Challenge Winner Medal that will display not only on your profile page here in the forum, but also on every post you make!

LET THE CHALLENGE BEGIN!
    "Find out what it is in life that you don't do that well... and don't do that thing" - The Most Interesting Man in the World

RDNA Vendor, Mod, Artist nightsong's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Oh, wow. Talk about a Challenge!!! Sounds like it might be time to break out Vue!

This is a challenge that seems really simple up front and then a lot more complicated when you stop to think about it. Fortunately, I have an idea.
    Check out my Rendo gallery!

"Childhood is short and maturity is forever."--Calvin, Calvin & Hobbes

I was just thinking the exact same thing zaarin. Hmmm . . . ~scratches head to stir up some ideas~
    OK . . . Where's my chocolate?

England, where we like our beer warm and flat!
    Fiendish theme...I have some ideas already though. I thought, "what do I need to fill the horizontal space?". Not easy, initially I thought about just using white space, but that seemed a bit over-used. So I'm working on this:

kali_1.jpg

Anyone interested in seeing WIP/progress shots? Just a thought....!

Quote Originally Posted by paulfrancis View Post
    Anyone interested in seeing WIP/progress shots? Just a thought....!
    I would be! Your work is always amazing! I'd love to get some insight into how you work/think. But should it be in another thread...?

So if I understand this correctly its not a Landscape Challenge its a Challenge that depicts anything in the Landscape Orientation?
    Correct please if I am mistaken...Thanks a million

Rich
    “Laughter Is Timeless, Imagination Has No Age, And Dreams Are Forever. ” Walt Disney

I don't think its so much 'anything' as a portrait a close up of a person (although I don't see why it couldn't be an animal) which gives an intimate view of the subject. And yes it has to be in landscape orientation.

Maybe some visual aids would help
    Google "Landscape Portrait"

-It can be an animal or a creature at the subject of the portrait (I figured someone would want to do a dragon or a cat, LOL)
    -It doesn't need to have landscape in it, even though my examples do

Last edited by Admin-Traveler; 09-07-2012 at 04:40 PM.
    "Find out what it is in life that you don't do that well... and don't do that thing" - The Most Interesting Man in the World

And Paul.....
    We would LOVE to see progress shots!
    (That goes for anyone who wants to do them)

I had this vision of a Kali-like figure on a blue background for this challenge, with a LOT of post work, but as usual, the key is to get the original Poser render right in the first place, otherwise no amount of postwork will save you.

This setup is a V4 character in the foreground. Behind her are multiple V4s, with everything but the right arm and hand hidden, which means I can carry on posing each arm separately. This wireframe is from a slightly later version, with 4 arms and a sword:

kali_wire.jpg

For the overall look of the piece, I thought I'd try for something different to the usual V4 European character...I have Adam Thwaites' "Shanti" so I tried applying the physical morph and texture to all three V4s:

kali_2.jpg

Pretty pleased with it. Now for EZSkin!
    Last edited by paulfrancis; 09-07-2012 at 06:53 PM.

Oh, that's looking wonderful!
    Check out my Rendo gallery!

"Childhood is short and maturity is forever."--Calvin, Calvin & Hobbes

What an interesting challenge!
    I hadn't planned to participate this month but now I think I'll have to try to find the time
    - I am, therefore I eat -

My products at RDNA

Now with EZSkin, and also tweaking the lighting. In my mind's eye this is going to have a Photoshopped background which will be mainly blue, so I want some blue highlights and reflections in the original render, to really tie it togther (paraphrasing The Big Lebowski, there!):

kali_3.jpg

Also adjusted the head and added another arm, and need to put something in her hands:

kali_4.jpg

Hmmm... A very attractive theme for which I already have an idea. I may just give the challenge a go this time. Eyesight is returning and I've been catching up on things. May just be able to set aside the time for doing a few pieces/images for myself and one for the challenge this month. It would certainly be nice to do so, and share something after admiring everyone's work the past few days.

Oh, this sounds interesting... I just happen to have a couple ideas for wide portraits in my "notebook of ideas" already that might just be perfect for this. Time to break out the notebook and start artworking! It will be so nice to take a break from all the commercial stuff for a while!
    ~Lizzie P.
    I put my heart and soul into my work, and have lost my mind in the process. ~Vincent Van Gogh
    My RDNA Store
    Dream 9 Studios | My Blog
    Facebook Page | Twitter Feed

I know you specified a width for the master challenge and said that for the rest of us it just has to be wider than it is tall but I'm slow tonight. LOL So a picture that would print 8" tall by 10" wide would work? That's what I usually do my work in since I like nice prints. Just wanted to be sure before I get anywhere near rendering.
    ~Lizzie P.
    I put my heart and soul into my work, and have lost my mind in the process. ~Vincent Van Gogh
    My RDNA Store
    Dream 9 Studios | My Blog
    Facebook Page | Twitter Feed

It's all done with mirrors!

Wide is good - I finished my second entry and have posted it. After I did it I had a brainwave - why not go EVEN WIDER?

brainwave.jpg

Can't post it any bigger; the original is 5000 pixels wide. I really don't know which version is best!

WOW!!! What more can I say!! ~as she sits there with her jaw hanging open~
    OK . . . Where's my chocolate?

Quote Originally Posted by paulfrancis View Post
    Wide is good - I finished my second entry and have posted it. After I did it I had a brainwave - why not go EVEN WIDER?

brainwave.jpg

Can't post it any bigger; the original is 5000 pixels wide. I really don't know which version is best!
    That is awesome

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast