Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    I thought for sure this would work.

Unfortunately it did not.

I could not choose poser as a force reinstall option. I reset all paths. Then tried to force reinstall.

Poser still crashes immediately.

Quote Originally Posted by namrettek View Post
    I thought for sure this would work.

Unfortunately it did not.

I could not choose poser as a force reinstall option. I reset all paths. Then tried to force reinstall.

Poser still crashes immediately.
    Damn, I was sure this would work for you.

Have you also tried clearing your cache files? Go into Zbrush, Preferences/GoZ/Clear cache files.

Then try the force reinstall again.

Do you GoZ only to Poser or another application?

If you GoZ to another application, try going from say modo/C4D with any mesh item and then GoZ back and forth to get this working.
    Clear the cache files then try opening poser again.

If you don't own modo/C4D or other 3D app then try this.

Clear cache files once again in Zbrush. Make sure your GoZ path to Poser has been installed ok. Make sure Poser is not open at this point. Open any mesh item in Zbrush make sure its a polymesh 3D cube or anything and then try to GoZ to Poser and see what happens.
    Last edited by luc_feri; 08-29-2012 at 10:23 AM.
    Poser Pro 2012 - modo 701 - ZBrush 4R5 - Lightwave 11.5 - Mari 2.0 - painter 12 - Sony Vegas 11

The crash causes and the involved apps (poser sr3 and zbrush) are too similar to be a coincidence, so I am sure that the problems are related. I guess the order in which things have to be done is important too or there is another step involved.
    I noticed that the force reinstall did not appear either for me in ZBrush. However when explicitly set the path to poser (I had to browse to get it, ZBrush did not find it) and then the Force Reinstall did appear
    Maybe Luc_feri can get some more hints about what he did when he debugged the problem...

Edit: Crossposted

Quote Originally Posted by wimvdb View Post
    The crash causes and the involved apps (poser sr3 and zbrush) are too similar to be a coincidence, so I am sure that the problems are related. I guess the order in which things have to be done is important too or there is another step involved.
    I noticed that the force reinstall did not appear either for me in ZBrush. However when explicitly set the path to poser (I had to browse to get it, ZBrush did not find it) and then the Force Reinstall did appear
    Maybe Luc_feri can get some more hints about what he did when he debugged the problem...

Edit: Crossposted
    I think you are correct, its probably really critical on the order of things. Maybe after reinstall of paths, you need to close zbrush down and then reopen it again and clear cache files before a force reinstall.

I recreated the error again, once I had fixed the inital problem with Poser, and the force reinstall cleared the crash issue. That's why I assumed it was a certain quick fix.

As soon as Poser was opened after the crash error was fixed, Poser wanted to import a mesh from ZBrush.

That's why I suggested to send something new from ZBrush via GoZ. It's as if something was sent and didn't get there. Poser is expecting something but can't find it and crashes. If that object mesh is still floating around virtual memory, once the crash has been cleared and the force install is done, the item will appear again.

In this case since several restarts of the cpu have probably occured , the mesh sent from Zbrush has gone forever. Thats why it might be best to clear cache files first in Zbrush, reinstall the paths to Poser, force reinstall GoZ plugin. BUT, do not try and open Poser at this point, create a polymesh 3D item in Zbrush and then press GoZ.
    Last edited by luc_feri; 08-29-2012 at 10:39 AM.
    Poser Pro 2012 - modo 701 - ZBrush 4R5 - Lightwave 11.5 - Mari 2.0 - painter 12 - Sony Vegas 11

wimvdb, thanks for reporting the crash error feedback to SmithMicro.

I must say I know this crash error is annoying but once we have hopefully cleared the issue as long as your careful with the GoZ function, I know it works fine without problems.

It's critical if you GoZ that Poser receives the mesh. As I said on the other thread, make sure if you GoZ with other apps that Poser is not in the loop at that point.

I think this is the root - Goz, but it seems to be quite messed up.

I have Daz Studio and Carrara with Goz. And I can get Carrara to work, but Daz no longer works. And poser just crashes...

correction -- poser just loaded...

Thanks guys. Still looks like I need to mess around with some settings.

The funny thing was I suspected Goz from the start. But I ruled that out because I reset the cache and had re-installed Poser. I didn't think that could be the problem.

It took several times going back and forth from Carrara to sort it out - (I think).

Poser crashed many times and than suddenly it worked.

I can't say exzactly what did it.

On another positive note I found the solution to the original problem that caused me to mess with my tablet drivers (which is part of why I dismissed goz). Zbrush kept crashing everytime I used interactive light. I thought it was a tablet problem. The solution was to update my display drivers... I didn't know that there were separate drivers for the SAME Nvidia card. Drivers from Nvidia and drivers from Windows (at least they were in my optional windows updates...)

No worries. , thats why I kept going back and forth with modo first to get those paths talking before trying the force reinstall fix for Poser.

It is very particular I must say. I use modo with GoZ and thats where the problem started. Zbrush to modo seems to be my default path coming out of GoZ plugin. I have to obviously come from Poser to Zbrush to get these two apps talking.

If you want DAZ back working with Zbrush I would clear any cache files first in Zbrush and then rinse and repeat steps that you did with Poser.
    Last edited by luc_feri; 08-29-2012 at 11:01 AM.

Thanks for helping out. I have poser running now. But Goz is not working out so well. I'll have to mess around with it.

Quote Originally Posted by namrettek View Post
    Thanks for helping out. I have poser running now. But Goz is not working out so well. I'll have to mess around with it.
    Once you get the kinks smoothed out it'll be cool. I've not had any problems since I figured out the order to do things.

Quote Originally Posted by luc_feri View Post
    No worries. , thats why I kept going back and forth with modo first to get those paths talking before trying the force reinstall fix for Poser.

It is very particular I must say. I use modo with GoZ and thats where the problem started. Zbrush to modo seems to be my default path coming out of GoZ plugin. I have to obviously come from Poser to Zbrush to get these two apps talking.

If you want DAZ back working with Zbrush I would clear any cache files first in Zbrush and then rinse and repeat steps that you did with Poser.
    I read your post while I was at work and I knew it would work. I was prettty bumed when it didn't.

The whole rinse repeat thing is the key... I think.

Carrara seems to be my default with Zbrush. I had a heck of a time trying to get it to recognize Daz, and then later Poser (before the whole crash).

This time - I went back and forth several times as you suggested, and then I turned off Carrara's path. tried poser and nothing happened. Then I started Poser and it asked if I wanted to import.

Goz is not even showing up in Daz studio now...

SM has a clear reproduction scenario for this now and it seems to be the same problem as you are having.
    To verify: Does removing C:\Users\Public\Pixologic\GoZApps\Poser\ZBrushRead y.txt make the crash go away?

Quote Originally Posted by wimvdb View Post
    SM has a clear reproduction scenario for this now and it seems to be the same problem as you are having.
    To verify: Does removing C:\Users\Public\Pixologic\GoZApps\Poser\ZBrushRead y.txt make the crash go away?
    Yes!! Excellent work. I recreated the crash bug, and it worked first time, no more force reinstall or worries.

Strange that a small text file containing the words 'Hi' is the cause/contributer for such a persistent crash, but hey thats computers for you!!

Thankyou for posting.

I also did a further test. Once the crash bug had been solved by removing the text file and poser now loads again correctly, I then closed Poser down. I restored the text file from the recycle bin to previous location and not only did Poser load correctly but also the 'old' mesh was requested to be loaded into Poser. The mesh was loaded into Poser, not as a morph, but as a full mesh, although scaling was dubious.
    Last edited by luc_feri; 08-31-2012 at 08:14 AM.

That is very good news indeed. I'll report back that this works also in the other cases

Thanks. I did another troubleshoot test (see edit)

Let's wait what solution the developers think of for this problem.
    The scaling issue for returned objects is a known issue.

Nice detective work, guys.

You don't happen to know the solution to Interactive Light crashing Zbrush do you? That was why I updated my drivers in the first place.

I am wondering if it is related to GoZ because when I had Daz Studio's GoZ uninstalled (and POser not working) My interactive lighting did not crash Zbrush.

It can't simply be because I updated Wacom tablet drivers, because I updated them to fix the crash problem...

Just a thought - do you have Poser open when Zbrush crashes?

No.

I'm not really asking you guys to solve ALL my problems. Just had no idea where to start.

I actually thought you might have the same problem if you had poser installed and zbrush you might try Interactive light and leave it on for about ten to fifteen seconds and see if it crashes - mine crashes after about 5 seconds when I use the tablet and about ten to 20 with the mouse.

I got Zbrush just a few weeks ago when I wanted to try it out in Poser, so I am still in process of figuring out how to do things. I can get morphs, props in and out of Poser and Zbrush now and even do something usefull. But I did not even know what the lightbox was....

Well actually I just removed the Poser file from C:\Users\Public\Pixologic\GoZApps

and that solved tjhe problem!

So you guys did it again! Thanks. See if you are getting a crash while using interactive light. I doubt I am just "lucky"

Spoke too soon it still crashes with the tablet...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast