How to make a MAT Pose file

HOW TO MAKE A MAT POSE FILE

First of all, i assume you have already saved your .mc6 file (in the material tab, click on the + in the library, you'll have to choose if you want to save as a single material, or a collection). You can have a general view of all Poser file extensions at www.kuroyumes-developmentzone.com.

All you will need is... a text editor! (simple, isn't it?).

Make sure you make a backup of your mc6 file!!

Then open it with your text editor. You'll have this:

The trick now is very very simple. You only have to change the words "mtlCollection" into "figure":

Then, you save (not save as, only save, that's why i asked you to make a backup). Now, you only have to change the .mc6 extension of your file into .pz2 extension, and to put it into your Pose folder. That's all!!!

MAT POSE FOR A PROP

It's exactly the very same thing as for a figure, except that instead of "figure", you have to precise the name of the prop:

Even better if you have several same props:

Then you don't have to deal with name changes when adding a prop named the same.

CHANGING VERSION NUMBER

In order to have your files working with previous versions of Poser without that annoying message, just change the version number into the one you want to use your file in:

Et voilà!

The version numbers you see in these examples are for compatibility. If you want your files to be compatible with Poser4, change the version number to 4.01.

Last edited by Traveler; 07-25-2009 at 09:31 AM.

Thank you very much Vince
    How easy could that be with your explanation.
    I definatly gotta try this out when I come home.

Very efficient and easy to understand thanks to your clear explanations.

Thank you or better said merci beaucoup.
    "The subject is nothing, the light is all."

Léonard MISONNE, belgian photographer (1870-1943)

Thank you Claudia and Wilfred
    There's a lot of utilities out there that do that for you, but why to loose some bucks while it's sooo easy and quick to do by yourself

Thank you very much for this easy to understand tutorial, I liked the way you explained it.

There's only a little mixed up in the last 2 pictures for the version number part. I think it should be matposetut8.jpg and matposetut9.jpg.

Thank you nooman, i've fixed the two last pictures

doesn't work for me. No matter what I do, none of my pz2's works in Poser. Very frustrating, especially because that script I use in DS used to work perfectly once!

Quote Originally Posted by anglu View Post
    doesn't work for me. No matter what I do, none of my pz2's works in Poser. Very frustrating, especially because that script I use in DS used to work perfectly once!
    If i understand right, you followed the tut and it didn't work? But why is DS involved?

Well, I don't have Poser myself (yet), I create my stuff in Daz|Studio and use tlc's CPM-Script (Creates Poser-Mats) to make the Matposes.
    It worked tperfectly for quite a time, but now I have this product of mine, a huge set of textures for Addition HairStyles, and I just can't get any pz2-files for it that work in Poser. mt6-files work, but not the pz2's, neither those I create directly with MPC nor the ones I make converting the mt6's I make with MPC.

To confuse me even more, the pz2's I made for a S4-character recently work again.

If I remember correctly, the Addition Hair parts are props, aren't they? A prop NEEDS to be parented to a figure, otherwise the matposes don't work. I guess you tried them on the hair without having V4 loaded...?
    Load the figure, load the hair and try again, I'm sure it will work
    - I am, therefore I eat -

My products at RDNA

I have the same problem. Converted mc6 files don't work in DAZ-- the only components that transfer over are the specular settings and the opacity strength. Diffuse settings and textures don't work. I can also tell if a .pz2 was converted from an .mc6 for this very reason-- though in those cases, SOME of the diffuse settings, and once in a blue moon, a texture do transfer over.
    For the most part however, I am forced to perform the gruelling task of opening the mc6 file in Notepad++, Das RGBing the Kd/Ks/Ka settings (donationware app by Winterbrose that calculates bet. kd/ks/ka and RGB settings), and creating the matpose settings myself. I do enough of that with D/Led freebies as it is with bad runtime references (notorious in the old P4 freebies from Japanese sites)

Converted mc6 files don't work in DAZ-- the only components that transfer over are the specular settings and the opacity strength. Diffuse settings and textures don't work.
    Huh? What do you mean by converted mc6 files? Making a pz2 mat pose out of them?
    pz2 mat poses and mc6 collections are exactly the same, only the line at the beginning is different, like vincebagna showed in this thread.

DS doesn't read all of Poser's shader tree settings. But there is no difference if it was an mc6 file first or a pz2 right from the start.
    I don't know how your poses are set up, whether you are using procedural shaders or not. The procedural stuff will not translate. Texture-based nodes usually work, at least the textures for color, transparency and bump should be loaded correctly. Also plain colors come over as they should. I've never had to change color values or RGB settings, and I've moved a LOT of matposes over to DS.

Displacement files and settings are always lost, though, and specularity maps sometimes end up in the wrong channel. And the specularity strength practically always needs tweaking.
    - I am, therefore I eat -

My products at RDNA

I really appreciate the kind of topics you post here.

This information is very constructive for correct planning. I like your work for providing information to the other.
    I’ve been researching this topic for a few hours and found this post pretty helpful. Thanks for compiling the info in one spot.