• Poser to C4D - Part 1 Wavefront OBJ

The Goal of this series is to show you how to get a scene from Poser into Cinema4D. This is Part One of Three.

Used tools:
      Poser Pro 2012
      Cinema 4D Studio V13

Goal:
      Export a figure obj-format and import it in C4D

Let‘s start with a nice figure in Poser.

Now let’s save it in Wavefront/obj format:

The first dialog asks us the export range we want to export. We want to export a single frame.

The next dialog asks us what we want to export. At the moment we only want to export only a single figure, so make sure it is selected and make sure that the „Ground“-plane is deactivated. We don’t need it. This dialog is important especially if you have multiple figures available in your scene, so you can select which figure should be exported. Advanced users can also limit the export to specific parts of a figure.

In the next dialog, the standard options are ok. So we leave them and hit ok, give the save-file a name and were ready with the obj- export from Poser.

Next is to start C4D and just „open“ the saved file. C4D automatically detects what kind of file it is and presents you the corresponding load options dialog box.

Here it is very important to change the scale factor to something around „1000“, so that the figure is big enough and imports well into our scene.

The size is important because you can run into some strange display issues when working in the wrong scale. Always check C4D’s default ground plane. If you see only a very small plane then your figure is way too big and has to be scaled down. If you see a very big plane then your imported figure is way too small and has to be scaled up.

So after import you get something like this:

I save this file as a C4D scene now.

In the object manager you can see, that you have a lot of individual parts of your figure available:

Our figure might look better with some textures. Ok, now the „fun“ start begins: „Assigning textures to the figure“.

To make life easier I copied all textures from the figure into a „tex“ subfolder in my current project. C4D will always search textures in a „tex“ subdirectory, so it is a common workflow for me to put textures I use for a scene in such a subdirectory.

Let’s take a look at the material-manager:

All grey, nothing assigned, so for a quick-start select all of them:

Now take a look at the attribute window. You see that 13 materials are selected and we
      select in the color-channel the texture field to load a texture and assign it to all 13 materials in one go.

So let’s select a body-texture from the „tex“ folder:

Ok, the figure looks better but because using the same texture for all elements it was
      clear that some error will appear and have to be corrected.

Just select the wrong materials and assign the eye-texture.

Oops, you might have already noticed that I have selected not the same texture for the body as in Poser, so I have selected the other "non-eye" materials and assigned the pink body texture.

The result looks now fine.

You see that also all materials will appear in t he object-manager:

If you add a light, a floor and hit render you’ll see something like this:

For this model we had only to assign 2 textures, so you can imagine that this task might get very tedious if you have a model with more textures and if you have to assign all of them individually. In addition we have done no optimization for the texture channels like specular, reflection and so on. This has also to be done.

So we have a lot of tasks to export/import and especial texture the model.
      Why is it important to know how this works?

Because of this: it simply works! No dependencies to any plugins. You can use obj-format in so many applications and this workflow might be a last option if all other import options fail.

This one never let me down and this is how I have started to get Poser models into C4D R7 at that time. After you have imported a model a few times you know which textures you have to assign to which parts. With a little bit training it is still a tedious task but it can be done quite fast.

Don’t worry there are other options on how to import stuff into C4D, just check some of the other import tutorials.
      Comments 4 Comments
        Teknology3d -
        excellent, thanks a lot! I love to see some lightning tuts too!
        Fredy3D -
        Quote Originally Posted by Teknology3d View Post
        excellent, thanks a lot! I love to see some lightning tuts too!
        The first one is online It is about 3 point lighting ansd simple scene setup
        http://forum.runtimedna.com/content....point-lighting

There will be more lighting tutorials, we just started
        crownprince -
        Ok, now im here.. But i have a simple question.. As i have never used C4d before. How do you change the camera angles, and maneuver around the scene? Is there a beginner tutorial that shows just these type of basics?
        c4dfx -
        Thanks I still have c4d 8.5 I always forget that 1000 scale - Doing morphs I export at what .0001 for returning to poser ?

i just got Poser 10 may not have to leave poser anymore

Get Social with RuntimeDNA

Superior Customer Service:
    Toll Free Phone: 1-877-789-8849
    (Monday Through Friday 9 AM to 5 PM EST USA)